Samaritan House is San Mateo County’s leading non-profit that brings a new level of hope, dignity, and empowerment to people living in poverty as we fulfill their immediate needs and guide them to self-reliance.
We do this with the help of our dedicated staff and volunteers. At Samaritan House we strive for excellence and leverage community resources to find and implement creative solutions for our community’s needs.
We believe in providing our team with supportive work environments and opportunities for development. We offer excellent opportunities for individuals with proven strong, creative, results-driven leadership skills and excellent work ethics who love working with people of diverse backgrounds. Samaritan House seeks to create a caring, compassionate community that helps our neighbors in-need.
- College education preferred. AA or Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, business or related field. Accounting experience may substitute for educational requirements.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in financial record keeping and general accounting responsibilities.
- Excellent computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, DocuSign, Adobe Acrobat and electronic file management. Excellent skills with Excel. Working knowledge of computerized accounting systems, Sage Intacct experience is a plus. Ability to quickly learn new finance related databases.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills; ability to work and communicate effectively with all levels of staff.
- Experience working in the non-profit sector a plus.
- Strong administrative, adaptive, multi-tasking and organizational skills. Strong attention to detail and ability to produce excellent, precise and timely quality work is required. Ability to successfully manage time, prioritize work, and alter priorities in a fast paced an ever-changing work environment.
- Clear understanding of professional boundaries with agency constituents under all circumstances as well as the ability to ensure and maintain confidentiality in all aspects of work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills required. Must be able to regularly interact effectively, compassionately and empathically with all constituents of diverse back- grounds and in various states of tension. Must be able to maintain positive relationships with constituents.
- Ability to maintain professionalism and deliver excellent client service under all circumstances. Must be able to engage, maintain and build relationships with new and current constituents.
- Must have understanding and ability to comply with any agency regulations, policies and procedures demonstrated through compliance efforts and activities.
- Excellent record keeping skills. Ability to maintain all work and associated files current. Strong and timely data entry skills. Ability to use calculators quickly.
- Ability to conduct all business within agency values, professionalism, high level of ethics and high integrity; ability to exercise appropriate judgment and timely decision making under various conditions is required.
- Excellent Initiative and ability to work independently and within a team. Ability to proactively identify challenges and have a resourceful and solutions-based approach to challenges. Must be able to manage and de-escalate problem situations successfully.
- Flexible schedule, including ability to work early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays when needed.
- Must be able to travel between agency sites or other locations as assigned. Valid California driver’s license, dependable transportation with insurance, and a clean driving record. Ability to be on time.
The Major Gifts Officer will possess a blend of frontline fundraising experience and will be an
integral member of the Major Gifts team with a focus on securing gifts of $2,500 and up, in partnership with the Senior Major Gifts Officer, CEO, Director of Development, and Board. Reporting to the Senior Major Gifts Officer, this position is responsible for cultivating and maintaining a significant base of major gift support from individuals located primarily within San Mateo County, CA. This person will be responsible for developing relationships with existing major and planned giving donors; assisting with and implementing annual year-end major gifts
campaigns; identifying prospects; and cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding both new and existing
donors for annual support. This position will be hybrid, working 2-3 days onsite at Samaritan House
headquarters in San Mateo
Preferred job requirements and qualifications for the position are as follows:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated experience, success, and progressive responsibility in fundraising with a minimum of three to five years’ experience
- Proven track record of closing five-figure+ gifts
Certifications, Licenses and Special Skills Desired:
- Proficiency in database management, Microsoft Office Suite, and other computer skills, as
- Advanced fund development and major gifts training a plus
- Passion for Samaritan House’s mission to fight poverty and lift lives in San Mateo County
- Exceptional ability to understand the needs and motivations of others, find common ground and synthesize information into compelling narratives
- Ability to set goals strategically and oversee execution
- High level of discretion and ethical approach to fundraising
- Proven ability to interact and influence philanthropic leaders
- Experience motivating and collaborating with high-profile volunteer leadership and senior executives
- Ability to work cross-functionally with various internal and external constituents of diverse backgrounds
- Hold a portfolio of 120-140 donors. Initiate, deepen, and maintain strong relationships with
donors – identifying prospects and cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding existing and new
major donors. Regularly reach out to and meet with portfolio donors. Develop new creative
ways to involve donors in ways meaningful to them and to Samaritan House.
- Create a plan for each donor in assigned major gifts portfolio that will serve as a
foundational communication and marketing plan. Faithfully and on a timely basis, execute
that plan, so that individuals on the caseload are retained and upgraded. Re-evaluate and
adjust plans as necessary throughout the year.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date donor records in the fundraising database, and track progress using reports, records, and pipelines.
- Support execution of small-group donor events, in-person tours, and virtual experiences to further engage major donors.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism or Public Relations, or equivalent experience in lieu of education.
- Minimum one-year communications and/or marketing experience.
- Non-profit experience preferred.
- Superior communication skills including excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Fully proficient in creating successful social media posts for YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and other social media channels.
- Excellent software proficiency: Microsoft Office Suite; Canva, Animoto or similar, with the ability to create photography and video projects quickly. Basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Premiere a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills. Must be able to work effectively and collaboratively across departments and with volunteers. High level of integrity, strong work ethic, and excellent customer service skills. Ability to work independently and collaboratively as needed.
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and the ability to successfully prioritize and be flexible in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to travel between agency sites or other locations as assigned. Valid California driver’s license, dependable transportation with insurance, and a clean driving record.
- Bilingual Spanish or Chinese a plus.
Under the general Supervision of the Associate Director of Facilities, the Facilities Specialist is responsible for the management and maintenance of all Samaritan House program facilities which includes owned and leased buildings and grounds including oversight and upkeep of equipment, facilities
Quality control is a large part of the job. Facilities Specialist will ensure compliance with Agency and OSHA regulations including any other federal, local and state governmental health and safety standards. This position will assist with the planning, budgeting and scheduling of facility modifications and repairs. Facilities Specialist will assist to ensure the agency buildings and grounds are maintained including, but not limited to daily, weekly, monthly and annual inspection, cleaning and maintenance schedules; determine and schedule repairs, renovation projects, waste reduction improvement and safety/OSHA inspections; review and analysis of capital projects ensuring contract and budget compliance as well as making recommendations to the Associate Director of Facilities.
Position will assist in the management of vendor negotiations, service contracts and work by outside service contractors for services, supplies and repairs within budgeted expectations. This position is responsible for hands on work and oversight of third party contracted companies for grounds keeping, cleaning, maintenance, repairs and vehicle maintenance. Work with Volunteers and Staff as needed. This position in collaboration with the Associate Director of Facilities is responsible for ensuring all work is completed within applicable federal, state, OSHA, and local government compliance.
Preferred and Required skills for success of this position include but are not limited to the following. In some cases, long term experience may substitute for Education.
Education and Certifications
- High School Diploma; Associate Degree or higher in Facilities Management or related field
- Two years’ direct work experience in buildings and grounds maintenance, facilities upkeep or
related fields. Experience with Facilities Management, engineering or relevant building trade
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- CAL-OSHA certification- Knowledge of CAL-OSHA and EPA standards and regulations. If not CAL-OSHA certified, candidate may be required to obtain CAL-OSHA Certification.
- HVAC certifications -Knowledgeable with HVAC systems. Candidate may be required to obtain
Required Skills and Expertise in Property Management, Buildings, Grounds and Facility Maintenance-
- Candidate must have excellent knowledge base of property management principles,
procedures, and standards, as applied to public facilities; knowledge of space and planning
principles and procedures.
- Candidate must possess working knowledge with building and grounds life safety systems and
mechanical systems; electrical and plumbing systems, carpentry and other related areas.
- Attention to detail and the skill to deliver excellent quality control are critical to the success
of this position. Candidate must have the ability to ensure cleaning, upkeep and safety
standards are maintained as well as being able to quickly, pro-actively and timely identify and
discover issues before they become major problems.
- Project planning experience and skills are helpful. Ability to develop request for proposals
(RFP/Bid) and evaluate contractor proposals. Knowledge of contract documents and
Preferred Safety and Risk Management Skills-
- It is desirable for the candidate to have a clear understanding of the components of an
Environmental Health and Safety Program, including but not limited to accident investigations,
ergonomics, industrial hygiene, life safety, machine guarding, air permitting, wastewater,
hazardous waste, property conservation, safety training, disaster preparedness, lock out- tag
out and workers’ compensation.
- Candidate should have knowledge of CAL-OSHA safety standards and regulations and HVAC
preventive maintenance practices.
- Candidate should be familiar with employee safety and disaster preparedness training
requirements and delivery; Knowledge and awareness of federal, state, and local regulations
pertinent to facilities planning, design, construction and maintenance.
- Demonstrated ability to read and understand MSDS statements with the ability to train other
staff or volunteers in safe use of potential hazardous or non-hazardous materials as needed.
Demonstrated excellent capacity to learn and be trained in the usage of HAZMAT products such
as chlorine, bleach and acid.
Client Services and Programs
- College education preferred -AA Degree in social or human services or related field. Related experience may substitute for educational requirements.
- Two years working in an administrative role in a non-profit/human services program including general reception.
- Two years’ experience in customer service role.
- Bilingual and Bicultural Spanish candidate required - Excellent communication skills required in both English and Spanish. Experienced with how to communicate, translate, read, write and speak both English and Spanish at an expert level in both languages. Candidates who cannot communicate at this level in both languages cannot be considered.
- Excellent computer proficiency; experienced with all programs in Microsoft Office Suite and Windows-based operating systems; Ability to learn new computer databases. Familiarity with HMIS, Clarity and related data entry is highly desirable.
- Strong administrative, adaptive, multi-tasking and organizational skills. Strong attention to detail and ability to produce excellent and timely quality work is required. Ability to successfully manage time, prioritize work, and alter priorities in a fast paced and ever-changing environment.
- Clear understanding of professional boundaries with high-risk clients and other agency constituents under all circumstances as well as the ability to ensure and maintain confidentiality in all aspects of work.
- Excellent interpersonal and emotional intelligence skills required. Must be able to regularly interact effectively, compassionately and empathically with all constituents of diverse backgrounds and in various states of tension. Must be able to maintain positive relationships with constituents.
- Ability to maintain professionalism and deliver excellent client service under all circumstances. Must be able to engage, maintain and build relationships with new and current constituents. Ability to work independently and with teams.
- Must have understanding and ability to comply with agency regulations, policies and procedures demonstrated through compliance efforts and activities.
- Excellent record keeping skills. Ability to maintain all work and associated files current. Strong and timely data entry skills.
- Ability to conduct all business with agency values, professionalism, high level of ethics and high integrity; ability to exercise appropriate judgment and timely decision making under various conditions is required.
- Excellent initiative and ability to work independently and within a team. Ability to proactively identify challenges and have a resourceful and solutions-based approach to challenges. Must be able to manage and de-escalate problem situations successfully.
- Candidate must be able to travel between agency sites or other locations as assigned. Valid California driver’s license, dependable transportation with insurance, and a clean driving record. Ability to be on time.
- Flexible schedule required to work early mornings, days, evenings, weekends or holidays as assigned.
Free Health Care Clinics
The diabetes care and education specialist (DCES) delivers comprehensive and seamless services that bridge the gap and integrate clinical and self-management aspects of diabetes and cardiometabolic care. The DCES is an integral part of the interprofessional team and provides collaborative, comprehensive and person-centered care, and education conducive to behavior change and improved quality of life across the lifespan. The DCES supports and advocates for people affected by diabetes to optimize quality care. The DCES promotes self-management to achieve individualized behavioral and treatment goals that reduce risks and optimize health outcomes. This position may have three collaborative positions providing oversight toward the success of this role- the Medical Director and two Associate Medical Directors. This position is grant funded.
Please note our preferred and in some cases required qualifications for this position:
Preferred Education, Licenses and certifications to be presented at time of hire –
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Dietetics/Nutrition/Pharmacy
- Licensed Dietitian in California
- Certified Diabetes Educator
Preferred Experience- Minimum 1 year of experience in the following:
- Diabetes self-management education and support experience preferred
- Working knowledge of Diabetes Technology
Other Skills and Expertise –
- Bilingual and Bicultural English and Spanish required.
- Excellent professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong emotional intelligence skills.
- Knowledge of social and economic problems pertaining to low-income, culturally diverse and underserved populations. Demonstrated knowledge of Samaritan House’s target service population is helpful.
Under the direct supervision of the Food Services Manager(s), employees in food services are normally assigned to perform a variety of functions to ensure timely, safe, sanitary and compliant kitchen and pantry operations. A Food Services Worker may be required to do work not directly mentioned in this job description but related to the Agency’s Food Services Operations in whole. Food must be handled in accordance with Food Safety Guidelines, Agency Policy, Safety Regulations and other departmental protocols in place to ensure safety of food service and delivery. This position will perform routine work including but not limited to preparing food for cooking, cooking; cleaning and maintaining kitchen and its equipment, utensils and supplies; janitorial and sanitation functions both inside and outside of the kitchen and pantry; service of the indoor/outdoor pantry; distribution of bagged or prepared foods. Position will accept deliveries; load and unload various vehicles; accept donations of food and supplies. Food Services Worker is responsible for ensuring appropriate storage, stocking and inventory control under accurate temperature controls. Excellent client customer service is expected with all agency constituents as well as performing work with a high level of integrity. Position is responsible for performing and completing work in accordance with Agency Safety Policies, applicable Food Industry Regulations; Federal, State, Local regulations for Food Services Industry. A Food Service Worker will engage on a daily basis with department volunteers and clients. This position is expected to guide volunteers and clients as needed to ensure appropriate food preparation, safety, sanitation and service. A Food Services Worker must have a SAFE SERV or equivalent food handling certification or obtain the certification within 4 months of hire in order to remain employed. Please note all food service positions come into contact with in kind donations. It is prohibited for employees to take in kind donations outside of the In-Kind Donation Policy.
Please note our preferred and in some cases required qualifications for this position:
Education and certifications to be presented at time of hire–
- High School Diploma – GED.
- Food Handler Card Required
- ServSafe Certificate
- Valid CA Driver License Class C
Experience- Minimum 1 year of experience in the following:
- Food Services or commercial kitchen work (with non-profit preferred but not required)
- Knowledge of food safety regulations and commercial food preparation.
- Delivering food services to diverse underserved populations including those experiencing a variety ofvulnerabilities and trauma issues.
Other Skills and Expertise –
- Excellent Professional Communication Skills- Written and verbal communication skills in English
- Knowledgeable with computer programs within Microsoft office Suite- Outlook, simple excel, word. Ability to learn computer programs, applications and databases for training purposes. Familiarity with telecommunication applications- Zoom, Skype, FB Messenger, MS Teams for meeting and training purposes.
- Exercise appropriate and sound judgement under normal and stressful circumstances
This position will serve in our Shelter Services Department which is comprised of three locations: Safe Harbor Shelter Program, a congregate shelter in the city of South San Francisco; El Camino House (San Mateo) Pacific Emergency Shelter (Redwood City), both non-congregate hotel shelter programs. Safe Harbor is a 90-bed shelter, El Camino House is a 40+ Room Shelter and Pacific Shelter is a 75+ room hotel shelter for homeless adults, some of whom struggle with substance-abuse problems and/or physical & mental illnesses. Under the general supervision of the Associate Director of Shelter Services, the Shelter Services Case Manager is responsible for coordination and management of short and long-term needs of the clients experiencing immediate challenges related to self-sufficiency. This position will meet with clients on a daily basis as well ensure the completion of any associated administrative duties in a timely fashion. In addition, the Shelter Case Manager communicates with other agencies (medical and non-medical) and provides referrals as needed. Case Management of Shelter Clients will be more clinical in nature and done under the guidance and supervision of the supervisor who is an LCSW. These positions will operate within HIPAA compliance regulations, as well as federal, state, local, industry and agency regulations and policies. Please note this position will be based our of the Safe Harbor Shelter site.
Post pandemic – candidates must follow all covid safety precautions required by the agency. While this position will be onsite mainly there may be occasions when we require remote work.
Preferred Requirements include but are not limited to:
- Masters in Social Work
- Bachelor’s degree in Social work or related field.
- Working as an advocate with other Non-Profit Agencies;
- Case management experience with a clear understanding of the principles and procedures of case management work and required regulations;
- Mental health counselor or related field;
- Assessment and planning;
- Non-Profit experience working with underserved and transient populations; includes working with and understanding the local community and the various services available to homeless populations;
- Working with populations who have co-occurring mental health, substance abuse and physical challenges;
Under the supervision of the Shelter Services Operations Manager, all Shelter Resident Specialists (formerly known as Program Aides) regardless of status (Temporary to Regular; On Call to Full Time) coordinate the orderly operation of Samaritan House’s Shelter Services Sites and facilitate the delivery of quality services to clients. This position also works with vendors and community support services to support the Agency’s Shelter Services program needs and the needs of our clients. Samaritan House Shelter Services Program has two main Shelter Sites- Safe Harbor Shelter located in South San Francisco and Pacific Emergency Services located in Redwood City. Safe Harbor Shelter is a 90-bed congregate shelter for homeless adults. Pacific Emergency Services is a 70+ Room non-congregate Hotel Shelter Program. Our clients for both programs include individuals experiencing various forms of crisis, including some of whom have substance abuse problems and/or mental illness. Samaritan House Shelter Services seek to provide the assistance clients need to regain their self-sufficiency. Shelter Resident Specialists (formerly known as Program Aides) are responsible for assuring delivery of excellent services, the security and safety of clients as well as safe environments including our properties, facilities and building during each assigned shift. Each Shelter Resident Specialist will follow a specified set of protocols to ensure all assigned tasks are completed throughout each shift.
All Shelter Services employees regardless of role must have flexible schedules to support the 24/7 operations of the program- this includes Early Morning, Day, Afternoon, Evening, Swing and Grave Shifts.
Preferred Requirements include but are not limited to:
- AA in Non-Profit Administration, Human Services or related field
- Minimum Education is GED or High School Diploma
EXPERIENCE – 1-2 years of experience in the following
- Working in a congregate or non-congregate residential facility- Shelter Experience
- Familiarity and experience working with dual-diagnosed individuals; mental health and or substance abuse issues.
- Knowledge, Experience and Commitment to housing and homeless issues is essential. Knowing how to navigate and support individuals in crisis or experiencing homelessness
Worker Resource Center
Ready to Apply?
Please submit an Employment Application to the address listed below. Alternatively, you can also email a copy of your cover letter, resume and employment application to email@example.com
Faxes should be sent to (650) 294 4336 and attention to the Vice President of Human Resources.
Vice President of Human Resources
4031 Pacific Blvd.
San Mateo CA 94403
Samaritan House is an Equal Opportunity Employer