Dr. Cora Clemons Emerging Young Samaritan Award
The Story Begins…
When she convened her associates, family and friends to discuss the problem, they came up with the idea of forming a nonprofit social services agency located in the north central neighborhood of San Mateo.
In December 1974, Samaritan House opened its doors in a two bedroom house with a Salvation Army worker, a representative from the U.C. Department of Nutrition, and visiting staff from the county health department.
Over the years, Samaritan House has grown into a vital countywide agency providing food, shelter, healthcare, clothing, counseling, worker resources, and holiday assistance to those in need. Samaritan House is more dedicated than ever to respecting and fulfilling Dr. Clemons’ vision by fighting poverty and lifting lives.
The award committee welcomes and values all projects and work that honor Dr. Clemons’ legacy and Samaritan House’s mission of fighting poverty and lifting lives. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Organizing and implementing community service programs/projects that serve others
- Leading/promoting civic activism
- Developing academic outreach programs to local individuals/groups
- Advocating for environmental sustainability
- 16-22 years old on July 1, 2021
- Lives in and serves community members in San Mateo County
- Represents the commitment to community service that was modeled by Dr. Clemons
For questions, please contact the Samaritan House Award Committee: email@example.com