This summer we are having our first annual Summer Reading Club! It will be an interactive story and lunch time for children and their parents. The new program starts July 7th in the Kid’s Closet and runs through the month of July. Children and parents can sign up to attend the four-week program by age group. Preschoolers come on Tuesday, Kindergarten and first graders on Wednesday and second and third graders on Thursday.
Volunteer readers will be parent/child teams who will receive training in small groups. The parents will read one new book to the child each week. Then the child will be asked to tell the story back to their parent. The story time engages the children and parent in the book together and gives them the tools to continue to explore when they take the book home.
Research has shown that reading to children and the presence of books in the home is the biggest factor for school success. Help our children strive for school success by supporting the Summer Reading Club, through volunteering or donating a new book. Visit the volunteer page on our website for more information and to donate.
Book request list for our Summer Reading Club.
In order to give each child their own book, we will need at least 20 of each book.
- Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Chalk by Bill Thomson
- Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon
- Max’s Dragon Shirt by Rosemary Wells
- Sleep Like a Tiger by Mary Logue
- Skippyjon Jones by
- Dogs Colorful Day by Emma Dodd
- What do you do with a Tail Like This, by Steven Jenkins, Robin Page
- Zen Shorts by John J. Muth
- No David by David Shannon
- Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen
- Flotsam by David Wiesner